<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 26, 2007

 
New Vocabulary Acquired Over the Weekend
I suppose, technically, I acquired this new vocabulary item on Friday, which is not actually the weekend, but I had the day off work, so it counts. I had taken the day off to chauffeur* Mark to an interview in Charlotte, and thus found myself killing time for about 6 hours. I had intended to go to the Mint Museum of Craft + Design, but instead discovered that all of downtown Charlotte is an overcrowded grid of one-way streets with ocassional parking lots that all require the parker to be in possession of $4.25 exactly, which was not so handy when all I had was a $10 and a $20. So instead I drove around for half an hour searching for a place to park in vain, until I got tired of it, at which point, I found myself in near a very small shopping center with only one parking space free, which happened to be in front of a restaurant, and it was lunch time. So I went in.

It was a small restaurant, advertising "home cooking," and featured a framed article from a local paper hailing them as the best "soul food" in Charlotte. I was the only non-African-American patron when I walked in. After listening to the other diners around me for a while, I concluded that I was probably also one of the few people in the restaurant not related in some way to the owners, but, given the crowd, they clearly have a lot of relatives and friends, so I suspect they do okay without lost souls like me.

Anyway, to get back to the point, this is a place that does Southern food** exclusively. As such, the only two beverages they offer are lemonade and iced tea (though they have made the concession to offer both sweet and unsweet tea, so that heathens and diabetics can have a choice.) But I kept hearing references to something that from context was clearly another drink, unmentioned on the menu, called "Tiger Woods." It appeared lighter in color than the tea, but I couldn't tell what it was.

Finally, someone sitting behind me explained it to his date/colleague/dining companion of some sort, revealing that in other restaurants, the mixture of iced tea and lemonade is called an "Arnold Palmer," (according to Wikipedia, it is purported to be the golfer's favorite drink), but, because it is a "mixed" drink, the owners of this restaurant had decided to call it a "Tiger Woods" instead.

And in case you were wondering, I had the vegetable plate, with broccoli casserole, candied yams, and fried okra. Just because they're vegetables, doesn't mean they have to be healthy. Also, sweet tea, cornbread, and banana pudding. I didn't want any dinner that night.

*I hate this word, and I hate the French for giving it to us. I have been known to get on people's cases about improper spelling, but seriously, even I have to draw the line somewhere as to what's reasonable to expect people to remember.

**I have noted an interesting commonality between Southern and real Chinese cooking, namely, a willingness to use every single solitary part of a butchered animal, with the cheerful expectation that everyone will find it tasty and wonderful.

Labels: ,


Comments:
You might never have an opportunity to learn a new laguAGE if you dont check-out our hardcore verbiage...

Would U please help a plethora of King Size, wildchild, rawkuss wordz which are lookin 4 a home in thy novelty?? Thx. Whew. They're pretty insane. They're bereft of reason. Oi! Blimey! They're bloody PINK spiders!!!

Gotta lotta gobba shrewd, surreal, supersonic, sardonic satires, sassy N savvy elixers N electronic elegance on our YOUTHwitheTRUTH blogs. Wannum? Have'm. N'joym. Gettm outta my hair!!!

How mucha wanna betcha our irrational, antioxident, hot-shot, full-throttle, pleasure-beyond-measure, fuse-blowin-exploits R a copious madhouse of one lavish bookay D.O.A.? Our proFUSE NRGod who leads U.S. to explosive fairy-tales in the 'one-stop-shop' symphony Upstairs? God's the BigDude, the Owner of ElysianFields, the Grand Prize, the Austere Overdrive, NoPurchaseNecessary: our bombastic tenaCITY on a Hill which'll plant the Seeds 4u2 grow-up to new N greater heights!! Mama mia! Thatsa good pasta!!

CAUTION: our 22ish, avant-guard, accurately-atrocious, offa-the-reservation-like-Jimmy-Hoffa, metal-breadcrumm-fabYOUlishousness R sooo out-of-order, toots, they're an intimate wealth of bottomless sophistication. And dats da fak, Jak. Go ahead. Sue me. Yawn. But, yet, here's the perennial KOO D'TAH: who else has actually SEEN the Great Beyond in spirit & lived to tella youse bout the bionic, bloated, brevity-like-earth we're living on?? Yes, earthling, I had an NDE, almost salivating4salvation. So gain altitude, never attitude: death has no favorites.

If Mr. abSUREditty's an ultra-great-reward, and not everyone enters, Q: why is it an excruciating deluge of epic-.357-caliber where the quality's a limitless bulldozer plowin, pushin-your-power-cord with eternal goodies? A: the Prize-A+-TheEnd just gives U.S. moe-curley-graphix 2 VitSee: an explosion-of-extravagance which few R asking 4 anymore! Grrr. They're too concerned withe grotesque sanity of ambivilant, whorizontal piss-ants which swiftly crawl like lemmings to their scorecard destruction. C'est la guerre.

THANK GAWWWD!!! the Don has the ebullient BAWLS!!! to do the Manifest Destiny!!! To lead U.S. forward to the White House Upstairs with his SQUARES!!!

So, break-free, earthling; be like a contraversial outgrowth of incredibly-intoxicating-effusiveness in your zeitgeist. Wiseabove. Wanna join this useFULL idiot Upstairs 4 the most zany, kooky, X-acto-knife antidotes? Extremely exquisite, explicit endorphins in abundance? Puh-lenty of pulverizingly-tantalizing psychopathic psychosomatics with eXtras? i2i-kick-velocity's-ass-ultra-maximum-rocket-fuel-party-hardy at my pad ya ever encountered without d'New Joisey accent 4 an eternal slew of precarious, magnanimous & primeval absurdities indelibly etched in the granite corridors of eternity with a total-barrage-of-melt-in-thy-mouth 'depth-of-undenial'???

Make Your Choice -SAW
...cuzz nobody gitts outta here alive, earthling.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?