<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

 
A Geek Moment
The following IM conversation took place this morning, when a vaguely anti-war themed song came up on my computer playlist.
Dana: I wonder how much of my feeling that we shouldn't really be trying to run other countries and interfering with their attempts to set up govts of their own has been influenced by growing up watching Star Trek, with its Prime Directive.
Will: Except they totally interfered all the time
Dana: I know, but at least they felt kind of bad about it and tried to minimize the damage.
Dana: I think the main difference is that they started from the premise that it was a bad idea, rather than a God-given right.
I have since been assured by at least two other people that I am not the only person in my cohort to feel this way about the formative influences of Star Trek in our early years. And honestly, knowing all of us as I do, I think I'm rather okay with the effect it had. More young children should be exposed to Star Trek, clearly. It would make the world a better place.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?