<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

 
It's Medicinal, Really
Honest, I swear, we had to get the coffee machine for my survival.

If I were a caffeine addict, that statement would be funnier than it is. As an allergy-induced asthmatic, on the other hand, I am quite serious. I am on my second week or so straight of being on antihistamines, thanks to Michigan's lovely Indian summer weather, which has confused all the evil plant life into dumping all their allergens into the air on overdrive. I hate all growing things right now.

The coffee machine is another coping method. If you are not blessed with the presence of an asthmatic in your life, here's a helpful tip: caffeine can alleviate morning asthma symptoms, and in a pinch, can substitute for a missing inhaler during a not-too-serious asthma attack. The only reason I learned to drink, and like, coffee was for the caffeine in case of asthma attacks. Decaf coffee is an unspeakable evil in my opinion. For the past 5 years, thanks to living in places with non-reactive allergens, I have been able to drink coffee or not, as my fancy struck, for the simple pleasure of it. Ah, those were the days.

Now, though, anyone visiting me and Mark in Michigan can rest assured that there will be good, properly caffeinated coffee in the mornings. Our coffee machine is no simple glorified filter. It grinds its own beans. It turns itself on in the morning. It makes up to 10 cups, and keeps it warm for you. I have yet to figure out how to get it to clean the kitchen, but so far, I'd say it's earning its keep. My asthma has been far, far less of a problem than my sneezing and itchy eyes, so I bow down before the healing powers of my morning coffee, and try to hasten the oncoming of winter while I down my morning cup.

To quote one of Mark's favorite book characters, "Winter is coming."

Not soon enough.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?